Friday, April 17, 2009

Pop culture effects...

I saw the movie The Watchmen about a month ago. It was good, it was also out of control long but anyway... I started to wonder how many comic books/graphic novels were being harvested for movies, here is a neat listing of all of them, and a few up and coming in the future: Graphic Novel Movies The thought escaped me again until yesterday when I was gridlocked in Washington DC. Undoubtedly the worst place to drive on the planet earth. Save me from that Watchmen. I pulled off the highway with the assistance of the GPS I stole from a friend just inside the city limits and found a neat bookstore/coffee shop after getting bullied by a cop for parking in a CVS parking lot and not buying anything. I was looking for a book I was reading in one of my lit classes, figured I'd get a jump on some reading instead of wasting my day away in the car.
I moved to the front of the store (I came in the back) and right next to the door was a massive new section with all the bells and whitstles of a theme park ride indicating an enormous aumentation to the graphic novel section of the store. There were more 'as seen in the films' than I could care to see. The bookstore was privately owned, I was told and I fount ir very interesting how they were playing off of the popularity of the pop culture buzz in such a subdued, off the beaten path shop like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment