Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bet you can't catch my attention

I was reading over my blog, and a few others I peek at from time to time, and everybody, it seemed, commented on the Super Bowl advertisements. Very critical, very authoritative, and why not be? We are the audience, we are the target, why not be the judges as well? That being said, I do was to emphasize the point that it must be increasingly more difficult for advertisers or marketers to grab the attention of an audience. Firstly, why not change the channel when you have seven hundred others you could be watching instead of a commercial? Second, one could grab a snack, go to the bathroom, talk to a friend, anything but there is still the millions of dollars of hope pumped in to advertising on television. Part of this is to be blamed on peoples attention span coupled with their requirement for instant gratification. What can hold a 21 year old's attention that they haven't already seen somebody else do? We've had the internet for half of our lives, I challenge you to widen my eyes.

Durex. I applaud you... and question your sensitivity to the subject of sex. Personally I laugh, but can see if or why someone might gripe about some condom commercials . Yet at the same time, I could write a novel sized dissertation about my feelings on tampon commercials but I won't, I suppose people are offended by different things.

Well whatever your tolerance for silly, ridiculous, balloon animal?, sex jokes I think Durex has managed to get my attention with this one. I can't believe I'm posting this for a class. AS funny as it is, it it wildly inappropriate.

Her is the link to the video on YouTube, please, if you feel as though you may be offended by sexually explicit material no matter the comedic content do not view the commercial.

Durex Commercial



Anywho, the point is that advertisers are constantly pushing the envelope, and getting harangued by censors for their content. The fact is, as silly as it sounds, they have to test the boundaries, because only outside of those boundaries can they find content original enough, attractive enough, creative enough to burn an image in the viewers mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment