Monday, April 13, 2009

Kids these days.

Easter was the first time in over four years that my brother my sister and I were all together. Over the last few years we have managed to see each other sparingly, she in Florida he in DC or NY and I in Baltimore or NY as well but never all in the same place. We got a little rowdy on saturday night and spent the morning in our basement together for the first time since I was eleven or twelve.

We were watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon, and I was surprised at how nostalgic I became. The three of us grew up here, we don't see each other nearly as often as we should yet the final piece of the trip back in history seemed to be the cartoons we were watching. It made me think of old Thanksgivings and Christmas' and how we used to sit here and watch holiday specials together .i forgot how big of a centerpiece the television was to my childhood even though I fell like I don't watch as much, and never did watch as much as other people.

My brother and I started talking about the cartoons kids watch today. Our generation has an ever changing exposure to media, to television shows, and it actually stratifies our age groups. i can't relate to what younger people watch today, just like they would not be able to follow the shows I did. it is like our time line can be defined in terms of our exposure. It made me feel like I was a kid but it made me feel so old.

1 comment:

  1. Bryan I completely agree. The cartoons of our day are far different than those kids watch today. Whenever I babysit I am very surprised at the type of humor in todays cartoons and how different they are from ours. All of the characters seem strange and dirty instead of the fun cuddly cartoons we were used to. My brother sisters and I have vowed to save all of our old cartoon videos and movies and make sure our kids have the opportunity to watch the quality cartoons of our day.

    ReplyDelete